Monday, July 03, 2006

HELP, I'M CONFUSED...

1 Cor. 11:4-16

Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head. But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved. For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head. For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; for indeed man was not created for the woman's sake, but woman for the man's sake. Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. For as the woman originates from the man, so also the man has his birth through the woman; and all things originate from God. Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.<> But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God.

...According to that, women should cover their heads when they are praying in public. I have always heard the argument that this is a cultural command and therefore no longer applies to us here in the US...But men still take off their hats to pray and such...So shouldn't women still cover their heads?

Any help you all could give would be greatly appreciated, but I don't want just any opinion. I need the answers from those who have contemplated and researched this area of scripture before. I also ask that you not just shrug it off as cultural; if you believe that is is cultural, please explain to me why it was cultural and why God does not want women to cover themselves, because I think these verses explain why we should quite well.

Also, I am looking for an explanation for the last part that says that her hair has been given as a cover, when the first part talks about how it isn't...

1 Comments:

At Thursday, September 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the hat taking off for guys is more to show respect for God

 

Post a Comment

<< Home